Castles / Arnesano (LE)
Marquis Palace of Arnesano
Built by the Marescallo family in the 17th century, it was modified and extended in 1684 by the feudatory Prato, to whom we owe the present appearance of the structure. Originally, before the construction of the building, there was a fortress, today just a tower, which controlled one of the gates to the old town, Porta Rande.
The building housed a valuable collection of paintings, up to 1802. In fact, following an earthquake that caused the collapse of some of the rooms, the collection was partly destroyed and partly transferred to Venice, Rome and Naples in the stately homes of friends of the Marquis Nicola Prato. The only paintings left in Arnesano are those in the chapel of the Bernardini kindergarten.