Castles / Copertino (LE)
The castle is located in Piazza Castello, the center of the urban fabric of Copertino, in the province of Lecce.
The present appearance of the castle is due to a rearrangement of the 16th century by military architect Evangelista Menga, and is built around a square courtyard. The structure has the classic star-shape of the 16th century's fortifications, although the oldest probably dates back to the 13th and 14th century, in the Norman period, as well as the quadrangular tower, similar to that of Lecce's castle or Leverano's tower.
Even today, the tower is surrounded by a moat along its entire perimeter.
In 1886 the castle was declared a national monument and subject to the rules of protection in 1955.
The castle is run by the Superintendence for Archaeological Heritage of Apulia.