Monuments / Lecce (LE)
San Biagio Gate
This is southernmost of the three gates to the old center of Lecce, dedicated to San Biagio, bishop of Sebaste in Armenia in the 4th century. It is located near piazza d'Italia.
It was rebuilt in 1774 at the behest of the governor of Terra d'Otranto, Tommaso Ruffo, as evidenced by the latin epigraph.
The gate is characterized by pairs of columns and is surmounted by the coat of arms of Ferdinando IV di Borbone and that of the city of Lecce, duplicated on the sides. San Biagio's sculpture completes the artistic adornment.