Salice Salentino is a small town and comune in the southern part of Apulia, Italy, in the Salento area. It is bounded with the province of Taranto to the northwest and the province of Brindisi to the north. Its coat of arms features a tree in the middle of a shield and a golden crown on top. The population grew until the 1951 census, after the increasing trend, the population fell slowly mainly by emigration to other parts of Italy. Founded by the prince Raimondo Orsini Del Balzo in the end of the 14th century, Salice Salentino owns the name to the willow trees that once used to grow and populate its muddy, clay soil. The prince constructed his residence, the "Casa del Re" (House of the King). It was later owned by the baron Zurlo in 1485. It was passed on to the marquis Albricci, Enriquez, prince of Squinzano, Filomarini, duke of Cutrofiano and della Torre. Its main economy is agriculture in the olive and wine industry. It is famous for its own wine, Salice Salentino.