Monuments / Galatina (LE)
Originally known as San Giorgio Gate, it took its name because it allowed the friars, who had their convent in the area outside the walls, to reach through a narrow alley (now Via Angelo d'Aruca), the Mount of Mercy they founded in the 16th century within the city circuit. The current access was opened in 1725, but was completely remodeled in 1803. It features a single round arch. The internal facade, however, is enriched by a walkway bordered by a balustrade with groups of three pillars alternated with those decorated with plant and floral motifs.