Coastal Watchtowers / Santa Maria di Leuca - Castrignano del Capo (LE)
Dead Man's tower
It is a lookout tower on the Salento coast near Santa Maria di Leuca. It is located near the Lungomare Cristoforo Colombo and dates back to 1555, by the works of Andrea Gonzaga, Count of Alessano. It is commonly assigned to the genus of the "hammer" towers, but compared to these it has a door at the base, instead of a gunboat. The name Dead Man is due to some human bones found inside. The top is collapsed, only the outer walls remain. Already at the end of the 17th century, the tower was abandoned following the collapse of the north walls. Today it's in a state of decay and there are no plans of restoration in sight.